Most people think of humidifiers as pretty straightforward — you turn them on when someone’s sick, right? But here’s something you may not know: the right amount of humidity brings a lot of healthy perks to your family. And adding humidity isn’t just for when your family is under the weather; you can (and should!) humidify year-round.
1. Humidifiers Can Shorten The Lifespan Of Flu Viruses*.
Flu viruses live all year long. But studies show that keeping your indoor air at a relative humidity of 40% to 60% reduces their survival on surfaces and in the air. A Vicks Humidity Monitor will help you keep tabs on your relative humidity level.
2. Humidifiers Help Relieve Coughs And Congestion From Colds And Allergies.
Coughing, sinus irritation and congestion can all be temporarily relieved by turning up a room’s humidity. Keeping your nasal passages and throat well hydrated helps to soothe symptoms of colds and allergies. But don’t forget the soothing extras: Vicks VapoSteam acts as a cough suppressant, and Vicks VapoPads (in menthol and lavender scents) add even more comfort.
3. Humidifiers Help Promote Better Sleep.
By keeping your nose and throat hydrated, a Vicks humidifier can help you breathe more easily at night (which can also bring you higher quality zzz’s.)
4. Humidifiers Help Relieve Dry Skin.
Chapped lips or dry, itchy skin and eyes can all be helped by simple humidity. This moisture can be especially helpful if someone in your family is living with a skin condition. Babies and young kids have sensitive skin that can also benefit from humidity.
5. Humidifiers Even Keep Your Green Family Members Happy.
Just like people, your houseplants need moisture to survive, and dry air in your home can prevent your plants from thriving. The moisture from a humidifier helps give them what they need to stay healthy and green.
6. Humidifiers Make Your Home More Homey.
Cool air has low levels of moisture in it, so when you add moisture to the air by humidifying, you actually make the room feel warmer and more comfortable – all without having to touch your thermostat.
* STUDIES BY ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH AND ENGINEERING (ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH 2010,9:55 AND ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH 2019) SHOW THAT KEEPING AIR AT RELATIVE HUMIDITY LEVELS BETWEEN 40-60% CAN REDUCE THE SURVIVAL OF FLU AND CERTAIN VIRUSES ON SURFACES AND IN THE AIR. WHEN USED AS DIRECTED, MOST HUMIDIFIERS ACHIEVE AND MAINTAIN 40-60% RH. HELEN OF TROY HAS NOT TESTED ON AND MAKES NO CLAIM ABOUT THE ABILITY TO REDUCE THE VIRUS THAT CAUSES COVID-19.