You are now being redirected to everydropwater.com. EveryDrop™ by Whirlpool® features superior PUR water filtration technology. Proceed to Everydropwater.com to complete your purchase
Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier (VWM845)
Question: How do I clean my Warm Mist Humidifier?
Follow the step by step instructions below to clean your Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier. You can also view the How to Clean video under the Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier product page Video tab.
Weekly cleaning is recommended. All maintenance should be done in the kitchen or bathroom on a water-resistant surface near a faucet. To properly clean your humidifier, we recommend the separate processes of Scale Removal and Disinfecting. These two processes must be performed separately.
1. Turn off and unplug humidifier. NEVER clean the humidifier when it is running. If the humidifier has recently been in use, wait at least 20-30 minutes for unit to cool before beginning cleaning process.
2. Remove any accessories, and empty medicine from Medicine Cup. Then remove and empty Water Tank and set aside.
3. Pull blue Locking Latch toward front of unit (a) and lift Mist Chimney up (b) to remove. Remove Water Tray from Base by pulling up from the Tab (c) and the opening in front of the Latch, then empty Water Tray.
4. Replace Water Tray and Mist Chimney. These must be in place for cleaning.
1. Remove Water Tank and slowly pour 2 cups (.5 liters) of undiluted, distilled white vinegar into the Reservoir on the Water Tray. DO NOT pour vinegar over the blue Locking Latch. Only pour into the deep Reservoir. Note: Pour slowly to give enough time for vinegar to flow from the Reservoir into the Heating Chamber. The vinegar will slowly begin to fill the Heating Chamber, located under the Mist Chimney. Let soak for 20 minutes to loosen scale on the Heating Element. Water Tank scale removal steps: Pour additional vinegar into the Water Tank, replace Cover and swish to coat inside of Tank. Use a cloth dampened with vinegar to wipe away any scale on the inside of the Tank and Cap.
2. Remove the Mist Chimney by gently sliding blue Locking Latch towards the front of the unit (a) and lifting Chimney upwards (b).
3. Remove Heating Element Cover by lifting from the large round opening and pulling away from the Chimney.
4. Wet the bristles of a soft brush with vinegar from the Water Tray and gently scrub the surface of the Heating Element, Heating Element Cover, Reservoir, and Heating Chamber to remove mineral deposits. NOTE: If scale is still visible on the Heating Element, moisten a paper towel with vinegar, and wrap it around the Heating Element. Let it sit for 30 minutes or until scale loosens. IMPORTANT: Remove paper towel from the Heating Element before proceeding to the next step.
5. Remove Water Tray by gently lifting from the Tab and the opening in front of the Latch, and empty vinegar in sink. Rinse Water Tray and Heating Element Cover with water until the smell of vinegar is gone.
6. With a soft damp cloth, wipe Heating Element to remove any excess scale. Snap Heating Element Cover back on the bottom of the Mist Chimney. It will only fit one way.
1. Mix ½ gallon of water with ½ teaspoon of bleach. Pour the bleach solution into the Water Tank. Replace Tank Cap and gently swish to coat the entire inside. NOTE: Using more than ½ teaspoon of bleach to ½ gallon of water may result in damage to the humidifier.
2. Place Water Tank on Base. Bleach solution will drain into the Water Tray. Let soak for 20 minutes.
3. Remove Tank and slowly empty bleach solution into sink. Rinse with water until the smell of bleach is gone.
4. Remove the Mist Chimney by gently sliding blue Locking Latch towards the front of the unit (a) and pulling Chimney upwards (b).
5. Remove Heating Element Cover by lifting from the large round opening and pulling away from the Chimney, and rinse with Water. With a soft damp paper towel, wipe Heating Element until the smell of bleach is gone. CAUTION: DO NOT RINSE HEATING ELEMENT OR MIST CHIMNEY IN SINK OR UNDER RUNNING WATER AS WATER CAN GET INTO INTERNAL PARTS. DOING SO WILL DAMAGE THE HUMIDIFIER AND VOID THE WARRANTY. ONLY USE A WET CLOTH OR PAPER TOWEL TO CLEAN THIS PART.
6. Carefully remove Water Tray by lifting from the Water Tray Tab and the opening in front of the Latch, and empty bleach solution into sink. Rinse Water Tray and Heating Element Cover with water until the smell of bleach is gone. Wipe Water Tray to dry.
Question: How do I reset the filter light?
The reset light will illuminate when your unit is out of water.
Please follow these steps to reset the light:
1. Turn power OFF
2. Refill and replace Water Tank
3. Wait 5 minutes and turn power ON
Question: How do I stop my unit from turning off unexpectedly?
Answer: The Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier has an auto shut-off safety feature that turns the unit off when empty.
Question: How does this humidifier work?
Answer: Water is released into the heating chamber where the heating element boils the water to produce warm, soothing steam.
Question: The power light of my humidifier is ON, but I don’t see any mist. Is my unit working properly?
Answer: Please ensure there is water in the tank and that the heating element is clean. If the unit has just been turned off, it will take about 3 - 4 minutes for visible steam to appear since the water needs heated enough to create mist.
Question: Can I use Vicks VapoSteam in this model?
Answer: Yes, Vicks VapoSteam can be used in the medicine cup to enjoy soothing cough relief. This unit also features a VapoPad door for use with Vicks VapoPads.
Question: Where should I place this humidifier for best results?
Answer: Ideally, the humidifier should be placed in the center of the room. However, if you are unable to place it in the center of the room then there are certain guidelines which should be kept in mind. Place the unit on a firm, flat, waterproof surface AT LEAST four feet from the bedside and 12 inches away from walls/furniture/curtains etc., and make sure it is not in the way and would not be considered a fire hazard (i.e. will get tripped over, etc.). You will also want to make sure that it is out of reach of pets and children as it boils water to hot temperatures and creates steam.
Question: There is condensation around my unit and on my walls, ceilings, windows, etc., what is wrong?
Answer: The humidity level within the room is too high and the air is becoming saturated with water. If the room becomes saturated, it is recommended that you open the room door and turn the humidifier off or down.
Question: Why is my unit leaking?
Answer: Please ensure that your humidifier is placed on a level surface, that there are no visible cracks within the tank, and that the cap is screwed on securely.
Filter Free Humidifiers
VapoPads™ & VapoSteam™